This month’s crime prevention tips focus on spring and summer safety. Keep the following safety tips in mind as the weather changes to help make this a great summer!
• Do not leave your vehicle unattended with it’s windows down or doors unlocked. Secure your vehicle AT ALL TIMES, EVEN AT HOME!
• If your vehicle is parked outside overnight, be sure to keep it in a lighted area as a deterrent.
• Make sure all valuables are out of sight or removed from your vehicle.
• Do not leave children or pets left unattended in vehicles. Please note temperatures inside of a vehicle can be considerably warmer than the temperature outside. Excessive heat can cause serious injury or death.
• If you are going out of town, you can notify the Police Department and set up a vacation watch.
• Make sure your home is locked up and secure.
• Stop your mail or have family/friends retrieve it for you.
• Set a light on a timer inside of your home to create the appearance of activity inside.
• Exterior motion sensor lighting can aide in deterring crime.
• Keep valuables away from public view through a window etc. Place valueables in a safe if possible.
• Do not post your vacation plans on social media.
• Check your bike to make sure the tires are inflated and the brakes are working. Put reflectors on the front and back of your bike.
• Wear your safety helmet and pads for protection.
• If you ride on the street, keep to the right and follow all traffic signs.
• Be on the lookout for traffic, yield to vehicles and signal when turning.
• Use the crosswalks and yield to pedestrians. If you have to cross at an intersection, look both ways and walk your bike to the other side.
• Stay alert and watch out for hazards.
• When you park your bike, make sure you lock it up. Register your bike and serial number with the Police Department.
ALWAYS REMEMBER TO TAKE THE TIME AND HELP PREVENT CRIME!